A Catalyst for Growth in the Heart of Detroit
We are one of the top 10 largest employers in the city
75% of our nearly 274,000 alumni live in Michigan and contribute to our state’s economy
Wayne State has an estimated $2.4B annual economic impact
We received APLU Innovation & Economic Prosperity (IEP) designation in 2014
As the 10th largest employer in Detroit, with a $2.4 billion annual economic impact, Wayne State is a powerful economic driver. The Office of Economic Development (OED) was established in 2011 to lead the university's efforts to stimulate growth in our Midtown neighborhood and Detroit, the city we proudly call home.
OED drives university investments, and we convene, connect and lead initiatives of our own to support small businesses and entrepreneurs, attract and retain talent, and create a 24/7 campus and neighborhood that is vibrant and welcoming to all.
Created in the wake of the Great Recession, OED helped Wayne State meet the needs of the moment. Now, as we celebrate our 10th anniversary, OED is working in close partnership with campus and community partners to help our city and region emerge from the economic challenges of today ready to embrace the opportunities of tomorrow. We envision and work for a vibrant Detroit with lasting prosperity and opportunity for all.
- TechTown Detroit’s annual fundraiser ‘Toast of the Town’ showcases partnership between TechTown and the Wayne State Office of Economic Development
- Detroit Revitalization Fellows celebrates a decade of impact, plans for the future
- Spotlight on the News: WSU's Ned Staebler, Michigan Education Trust's Diane Brewer & Rebecca Kinard
- Transportation options on Wayne State’s campus expanding through partnerships
- Welcome back, Warriors: 10 new and exciting things to see and do in Detroit