WSU is hiring a Park Ambassador!
Wayne State is hiring a Park Ambassador Student Assistant!
The Office of Economic Development leads Wayne State University’s efforts to leverage Wayne State’s assets—our talent, our research and technology, our facilities and services, and our real estate—to stimulate growth and strengthen Midtown and neighborhoods across the city.
One of our most visible assets is the Woodward | Warren Park. Recognizing a need for more neighborhood gathering spaces and an opportunity to activate a piece of underutilized land, Wayne State University (WSU) is creating a space where interactions between students, employees, area residents and visitors abounds. The park will open on Wednesday, June 5 and be co-staffed by WSU’s Park Ambassador and Detroit Experience Factory (DXF) representatives.
Rendering of Woodward | Warren Park.
About the Role
The ideal candidate is friendly, charismatic, and a self-starter. They have a strong customer-service orientation and passion for active and inviting public spaces. They are ready to jump in, ask questions and make suggestions.
Planned activities include a big, public-facing grand opening (May 5, 2019) and daily park programming between Wednesday, June 5 and Wednesday, October 30. The Park Ambassador is expected to be in the park approximately 15 hours per week—arranging and wiping down seating, opening umbrellas, setting up games and engaging with visitors.
Staffing Woodward and Warren Park (15 Hours/Week)
- Opening and closing Woodward and Warren Park (ex. setting up umbrellas and games)
- Tracking and maintaining park materials (ex. counting and wiping down seating)
- Engaging with park visitors (ex. encouraging game use and answering questions)
- Gathering informal and formal feedback on Woodward and Warren Park
Woodward and Warren Park Administration (5 Hours/Week)
- Maintaining a calendar of events in and around Woodward and Warren Park
- Managing relationships with park partners including DXF and WSU Sustainability
- Developing relationships with WSU departments and neighborhood actors
- Planning activities and events (ex. free yoga, mini-golf tournaments, etc.)
- Creating Woodward and Warren Park and activity-specific promotional materials
- Friendly and Outgoing
- Strong Communication Skills
- Experience with Events
- A Desire to Learn and Improve
This individual will report to the Office of Economic Development. There will be extensive on-site work in Woodward and Warren Park. Additional office space will be located in the Faculty/Administration Building. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Cornetta Lane at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through Wednesday, May 8, 2019, or until a suitable candidate is found.